Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A life not my own

There are some aspects of my life in Rome that are quite glamorous: the apartment where I am staying is less than a block from the Colessum, I ate gelato the other day while sitting by a fountain over-looking the Pantheon, I have an office with a window at the FAO and my very own UN pass.

I do feel that I am living someone else's life. I am staying at the apartment of a school acquaintance while she is in Africa for a few weeks which means I am surrounded by another person's furniture, pictures, personal items, but without that person. Starting work so soon after arriving here means that I don't feel like a tourist, but I don't really feel like I belong here either.

The weather has also been weird the past two days. Last night I got caught in a hail storm followed by a downpour and I had to stand beneath an overpass for almost an hour before it passed. And today I tried to have a solitary lunch at the Circo Massimo but I got rained on again.

I hope this weather and the funk that I'm in both pass soon.

1 comment:

Cinnamon said...

Hi, Jodi!

Wow! You're in Rome. Amazing, or so I hope. I have dreams of going to Italy one day so it will be great to read about your experiences.

I'll have to come up with something to mail to you in Rome, too.