Friday, June 8, 2007

Dove sono le verdure?




When I had been in Rome for four days, I realized that though I had been eating well (and constantly) I hadn't consumed any fruit or vegetables since I arrived. A crossiant for breakfast, pasta with bread for lunch, pizza or pasta or meat with a side of pasta for dinner, gelato for dessert. Italians don't like to muck up their pasta or pizza or lasanga with any veggies and I suspect that gelato, while often fruit flavored, does not actually contain any real fruit.


Now, I am not a health nut, but I did just finish a year at a nutrition school and the whole lack of vegetables unnerves me a bit. I find myself thinking "Are olives vegetables?" "What is the nutrient content of a zucchini flower?" "How I am going to get the necessary vitamins, antioxidants, and caratinoids?!" I have forced myself to forgo the pasta every other lunch and have what is inevitably a lacklustre salad. This is the problem with being forced to take nutrition classes; it is preventing me from properly enjoying what was to be my summer of gluttony.


Luckily, a glass of good wine usually quells the nutrition-school induced panic and so, for the most part, I've been eating splendidly. Zucchini flower pizza with surprise anchovies (see above), porchini mushroom ravioli, some really knock-out bruchetta, barbaqued pork ribs, and mountains of gelato.


I know that you all have been waiting with baited breath to hear all the flavors of gelato that I've tried thus far (plus I need some documentation for when I break Sarah Borron's record of 42). Here we go:

bisccotto (which may be cookie flavored)

crema di limone

plain yogurt (my fav so far)

hazelnut and chocolate

pistachio

melone

champagn


I also saw a nun order crema di cardinale (scandalous!)

No comments: